Mission: The SRLA Bylaws Committee, chaired by the SRLA President (or a substitute chair appointed by the president), is responsible for ensuring that SRLA Bylaws are periodically reviewed, revised, and updated as necessary.
- Receive recommendations from the membership for changes and/or revisions to the bylaws;
- Annually review the bylaws to ensure that they are current and continue to reflect the organizational needs of SRLA;
- As necessary, solicit input from the membership regarding proposed changes to the bylaws;
- Consider proposed changes to the bylaws and draft recommended revisions;
- Prepare and submit formal recommendations for revisions to the Executive Committee for consideration at their annual fall working meeting. Formal recommendations should be completed at least two weeks prior to the fall meeting in order for the Executive Committee to have time to review the materials prior to convening at the fall meeting;
- Chair: SRLA President or his/her designee
- Two to four additional members to be appointed by the SRLA President
Conference Planning Committee
Mission: The SRLA Conference Planning Committee provides organizational and conceptual support for the Conference Host and Program Coordinator (Past-President) to ensure that the annual SRLA conference meets the membership needs and enhances SRLA’s image.
Create and update, as needed, a Conference Planning Guide detailing duties and responsibilities of (a) Conference Host, (b) program coordinator, Board of Directors, and other persons involved in organizing and hosting the annual conference. Conference Planning Tools:
- Recommend and monitor timeline for completion of critical tasks associated with organizing and hosting annual conference;
- Seek input from membership and Board of Directors regarding conference goals and needs;
- Conduct membership satisfaction survey related to members’ conference experience;
- Prepare a conference summary report highlighting outstanding features, activities, and participants of each conference.
- Chair: Past-President
- Upcoming Conference Host
- Four members representing the following:
- Prior Past-Presidents who have served as a Conference Program Coordinator
- Past Conference Hosts
- Current SRLA Members
Mission: The SRLA Finance Committee, chaired by the Financial Officer has two primary responsibilities, i.e., (a) ensure that SRLA conducts sound financial planning/practices and (b) monitor the expenditure of SRLA funds. Charge:
- Periodically review financial statements;
- Annually prepare and submit a formal report to the membership regarding SRLA’s financial performance;
- As necessary, solicit input from the membership regarding any proposed changes to -SRLA membership dues;
- Review SRLA’s investment performance and objectives;
- Ensure SRLA’s accountability and financial integrity
- Chair: Financial Officer
- Two additional members to be appointed by the SRLA President
Honors and Awards
Mission: The SRLA Honors and Awards Committee provides organizational recognition to individuals who have excelled in their studies (students), or provided outstanding service and/or leadership in the profession. Charge:
- Solicit submissions or nominations, respectively according to the criteria of the award;
- Moderate the selection of award recipients;
- Coordinate the presentation of the awards with the conference host, Board of-Directors and recipient (as needed);
- Maintain records of award recipients;
- Update, as needed, the award categories and the criteria of awards
- Chair: Member-at-Large (elected in “odd” year);
- Reviewers of student papers, selected by the Committee Chair;
- Two SRLA Members appointed by the SRLA President.
Mission: The SRLA Marketing Committee provides organizational and conceptual marketing support to assist in developing, implementing and managing long- and short-term strategies to create and promote an awareness of the unique aspects of the organization, meet membership needs, and enhance SRLA’s image.
Long-term strategies may include, but are not limited to, creating and/or maintaining:
1) Relationships with other sport management related organizations.
2) Relationships to include sport law related organizations / interests in addition to sport management.
3) Developing strategies to include international sport management or sport law related organizations/interests
4) Sponsorships for the annual SRLA conference appropriate to the Association.
5) Retention and/or increase of the membership base of the Association. 6) Selling apparel and other appropriate paraphernalia that possess the SRLA logo to Association members and or other individuals on the Association website.
Short-term strategies may include, but not limited to:
1) Working with the host site coordinator in promoting the annual SRLA conference to the local constituents and businesses.
2) Selling apparel and other appropriate paraphernalia that possess the SRLA logo to Association members and or other individuals at the annual conference. 3) Working with host site coordinator(s) in creating sponsorship opportunities for local businesses in regards to the annual SRLA conference.
4) Generating promotional materials (i.e., brochures, banner with logo) for distribution at other national and international sport management as well as sport law related organizations / interests related organizations.
5) Generating promotional materials (i.e., brochures, banner with logo, certificates for members to post in offices or hallways) for distribution that faculty can use on campus to create awareness of SRLA
6) Create a standard announcement for release to local / school papers regarding officers, awardees, student-scholars, etc…
Member Relations Committee
Mission: The SRLA Membership Relations Committee provides organizational and conceptual support to the SRLA Membership Relations Committee Chair (SRLA Secretary) for the purpose of improving communication between SRLA Board of Directors and SRLA members, and among the general SRLA membership.
- Supply the SRLA Journal/Newsletter Editor(s) with relevant information regarding members’ accomplishments and/or news information;
- Develop and conduct membership satisfaction surveys as called upon by the SRLA Board of Directors;
- Supply the SRLA Webmaster with relevant information regarding members’ accomplishments and/or news information;
- Prepare a yearly summary report highlighting membership relations efforts. This report is to be delivered to the SRLA Board of Directors at its annual meeting and published in appropriate SRLA communication outlets.
- Chair: Secretary;
- Two (minimum) SRLA members;
- SRLA Webmaster
Nominations and Elections Committee
Mission: The SRLA Nominations and Elections Committee provides organizational support for the Nominations and Elections Chair to ensure continual and ongoing membership participation on the SRLA Executive Council, to answer to the membership’s needs, and sustain SRLA’s continual growth. The committee fulfills this mission to ensure shared membership governance and the maintenance of SRLA’s positive image.
- Solicit nominations from membership of willing and worthy candidates for Executive Council positions;
- Forward to Executive Council members the slate of candidates for the upcoming conference;
- Create a Candidate Portfolio that includes: (a) short biographical sketch, (b) reason for wishing to serve, and (c) photo of each candidate to be distributed to SRLA membership at conference check-in;
- Conduct an election of executive council members in accordance with the guidelines for elections as outlined in the SRLA Constitution and Bylaws and Operating Codes;
- Collect and tabulate the results of the election;
- Report the election results to the SRLA membership;
- Distribute a press release of members’ election to office to appropriate media outlets, including, but not limited to: (a) campus newspaper and/or office of public relations of elected members’ college or university, (b) appropriate administrative officials of elected members’ institution, (c) local media outlets designated by the elected member.
- Chair: President-Elect;
- Outgoing Senior Member at Large (designated to fulfill charge #7 above);
- Incoming Junior Member at Large;
- Two additional members appointed by the SRLA President
Site Selection Committee
Mission: The SRLA Site Selection Committee provides organizational and conceptual support for the Site Selection Chair (President-Elect) to ensure that the selection of SRLA conference host sites meets the membership needs and enhances SRLA’s image.
- Create and update, as needed, conference site selection guidelines as set forth in the SRLA Conference Bid Packet outlining (a) Dates & times of conference, (b) accommodation requirements, (c) conference/presentation room requirements, (d) budget, (e) meals, (f) roles of host, program chair, executive director and board of directors, (g) duties of the conference host institution/director, duties of the program chair (SRLA past-president), (h) sponsorships, (i) compensation of conference director/host institution, (j) proposed social activities, and (k) estimated transportation costs for SRLA members to nearest airport;
- Recommend and monitor timeline for completion of critical tasks associated with finalizing conference bid;
- Seek input from membership and Board of Directors regarding future conference sites and host universities;
- Prepare an annual conference bid summary report highlighting outstanding features, activities, and participants of each conference bid for the SRLA website, or via SRLA e-mail distribution list.
- Chair: President-Elect;
- Four members (minimum) representing the following:
- Prior Past-Presidents who have served as a Conference Program Coordinators;
- Past SRLA Conference Hosts;
- Current SRLA Member
Student Initiative Committee
Mission: The SRLA Student Initiatives Committee provides organizational support for SRLA to ensure an opportunity for students to be involved in the organization and to grow professionally from the experience while providing input to the organization concerning the needs of student members.
- Create and update, as needed, guidelines for the operation of the Student Committee, including but not exclusive to, the selection process for the Student Board Member;
- Identify, in consultation with student members, issues of relevance to SRLA student members and potential members;
- Communicate with the SRLA Board of Directors through the Student Board Member;
- Provide recommendations on business of the organization such as, but not exclusive to, conference site selection, conference program ideas and fee structure for students;
- Contribute to the SRLA Newsletter and website through the Student Board Member;
- Be an advocate for the organization, particularly with students;
- Provide input to the Board of Directors on how to market the organization to students
- Chair: Student Board of Director representative;
- Three SRLA student members;
- No less then one and no more then two SRLA Board of Directors;
- No less then one and no more then two SRLA Professional Members.
Student Board Member Election Procedure:
- The Student Board Member shall be elected at the annual meeting of the student membership for a term of one year;
- The Nominations and Elections Chairperson shall canvas the student membership for nomination suggestions or volunteers prior to the annual meeting. Candidates’ names shall be forwarded to the current Student Board Member. The slate of candidates may be modified at any time prior to voting;
- The election shall be conducted by a current non-student member of the Student Initiatives Committee;
- Each student member present at the annual meeting shall be entitled to one vote;
- The Student Board Member shall be elected by a majority vote.